For the second time in a row, Aam Aadmi Party figurehead Arvind Kejriwal has been sworn in as Delhi’s chief minister for the term 2020-2025. AAP won 63 seats in Delhi Assembly Elections held in early February.
Members of his Cabinet — Manish Sisodia, Satyendar Jain, Rajendra Pal Gautam, Imran Hussain, Gopal Rai and Kailash Gahlot also took charge as ministers at the Delhi Secretariat.The new cabinet is going to meet soon. Portfolios of the ministers are expected to be announced after the meeting.
The new ministers said the roadmap of Delhi government’s future work will be priority after portfolios are notified.
Soon after taking charge, Gahlot said fulfilling the points mentioned in the ‘guarantee card’ will be the priority.
Rai also said delivering the promises mentioned in the ‘guarantee card’ and the election manifesto will be the new government’s priority.
During the poll campaign, Kejriwal had released a ‘guarantee card’ that promised free bus services for students and 24 hours drinking water supply.
“Just as we worked in the last five years, we will continue to work to make Delhi a safe and beautiful city,” Gahlot told reporters.
Oath-taking Ceremony key takeaways
1. Everyone’s CM: Arvind Kejirwal, on Sunday, said that Dellhites were his family. He promised to work for everyone, be it from any party, any religion cast or strata of society. “Elections are over, it doesn’t matter who you voted for, now all Delhiites are my family,” Kejriwal said at Ramlila ground.
2. No step-motherly treatment against anyone: The 51-year-old leader said that he had never discriminated against anybody. “I never said AAP won’t work for those who voted for the BJP,” he added.
3: Kejriwal on bitter political campaign: Third-time CM of the national capital, Kejriwal said he wanted to work by taking everyone along. Kejriwal forgave all the politicians who started a bitter campaign against him and said,”We forgive our opponents for whatever remarks they made during poll campaign”.
4. Kejriwal on freebies: Kejriwal , after his oath ceremony said that, “Some people say Kejriwal is giving everything for free. Nature has ensured every valuable thing in the world is free, be it mother’s love, father’s blessings or Shravan Kumar’s dedication. So, Kejriwal loves his people and hence this love is free”.
6. Kejriwal seeks PM Modi’s blessing: Kejriwal, in his speech said that he had sent an invitation to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the event. “I sent an invitation to PM Modi. However, he could not come, maybe he is busy at some other event”. He, then sought blessings from PM Modi from the stage. Kejriwal stated, “But through this platform, I want to take blessings from PM and central government to develop Delhi and take it forward”.
7. Kejriwal on Delhiites: Kejriwal dedicated his victory to Delhiites. He said, “Your son has taken oath for third time as Delhi CM; this is not my victory but yours. Delhi is run by its teachers, doctors and autowalas”.
Kejriwal concluded his speech by singing the Hindi version of ”We shall overcome” song, at the Ramlila Maidan on Sunday afternoon.